Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Slow and steady

Sometimes I start to feel impatient because things aren't coming together as quickly as I'd like. Then my good wife (I don't actually have any others, bad or otherwise) reminds me that laying the foundations does take time and that sometimes the Universe has a different timeframe than me.

So her words help me regroup and keep plodding away. (See even your partner can be like a great coach - I keep saying everyone needs a coach!)

Slow and steady may not be very inspiring. It's not as sexy as sharp turns and speed. But it may be just the thing to keep you from running out of fuel, and still moving you forward. It did help the Tortoise win the race against the hare.

Abraham Lincoln, the U.S. President once said: "I am a slow walker, but I never walk backwards."

So the most important thing is to keep moving forward, no matter how slowly. Sometimes slowness can be frustrating. You might become impatient; you might get discouraged with a setback. But a setback doesn't have to set you back. It could be a learning opportunity.

So stay focused on your direction rather than your speed. Be patient, focus on a little bit at a time, and soon enough, you'll be further along than you ever thought. Besides, it's a good bet that by always looking forward, you'll rarely look back in regret.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that qoute of Abraham Lincoln, so true you just have to keep moving forward