Thursday, September 13, 2007

Growing up

"The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That's the day we truly grow up". - John Maxwell, author and public speaker

Life is about experience. That’s how we learn. We can blame painful lessons on inexperience, youth, and other people, but once an adult, you must claim your choices and their consequences as your own. Taking responsibility is sometimes a hard pill to swallow.

Life is all about attitude too. Negative attitudes affect your life by creating cynicism, a pessimistic outlook, and often a lack of confidence. Take note of the ways you are escaping responsibility for your attitude. Do you continually blame situations, friends and family, or life in general for your poor mindset?

Certainly the world around you has influence on you, but how you respond to that world is up to you.

When I don't respond well, my life becomes painful... all the more painful in fact because I know I'm responsible (even if other s are involved). In short, whatever I get, I've set up the attraction for. Becoming a mature person means taking control of your emotions and attitude. Keep your attitude right and life will respond accordingly.

What I have to be careful of is not beating myself up. Accept responsibility, get a kick in the pants, then pick up and move on - that's the thing to do. I find the Emotional Freedom Techniques help me get through those times and back to the right attitude a lot quicker.

No comments: