Friday, November 2, 2007

Santa Claus message

Last week I went to a training day to be a Santa Claus at shopping centres over Christmas. I was the only bloke there without a paunch! I sure felt different. Some of those fellas were heart attacks waiting to happen.

Now I love the concept of Santa and the fun of it. I love the way Santa is accepting of all races, creeds and values. He is an example of love and tolerance, the two things the world needs most if it is to be peaceful (How sad that in the 20th century over 1 billion people were murdered by fellow human beings.)

Unfortunately though Santa is also an example of poor health and fitness. To most kids Santa is a hero figure who can do no wrong. Yet he is obviously overweight. I wonder what messages we are reinforcing in our children.

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. While I believe in health and fitness through a lean muscular body, I also believe in the other values he promotes. I dress up and portray the very body shape I help people get rid of.

In the end I suppose a peaceful world of fat people who have associated health problems is better than a world of fit, healthy people who war amongst each other because they have little tolerance for differences.

No comments: